Here we are in the heart of another home heating season. With it comes the continual threat of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. It’s almost guaranteed that sometime this winter you will read or see a news story about an individual or family dying from CO poisoning and it can happen right here in Columbus, OH. Nationwide about 400 people are killed each year.
Know the danger
While the home heating season is the most dangerous time, it’s good to remember it’s not only furnaces that create CO gas. Any fuel-burning device, gas stove, wood stove, fireplace, hot water heater, creates carbon monoxide. Anything that burns fuel should be inspected regularly and any problems fixed immediately.
According to the EPA there is no agreed-upon standard for CO levels when it comes to indoor air quality, but these are some of the average carbon monoxide levels:
- In homes without gas stoves .5 to 5 parts-per-million (ppm)
- Homes with properly adjusted gas stoves 5 to 15 ppm
- Homes with poorly adjusted gas stoves 30 ppm or higher
For comparison, OSHA considers exposure to 100 ppm or greater, dangerous to human health. The level that can cause death depends on how long the person is exposed to the gas.
Fire & Ice Heating & Air Conditioning urges anyone who has fuel burning devices in the home to install carbon monoxide detectors. They will sound an alarm if the level of CO gas approaches dangerous levels. Remember, this is the only warning you will get. Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. If you want to be more proactive consider investing in carbon monoxide monitors. They not only sound alarms but continually measure the CO gas in the air so you can know about any changes. That’s important because research shows long-term exposure to even non-lethal levels of carbon monoxide can cause health problems.
Fire & Ice can help
As dangerous as it is, carbon monoxide is just one facet of indoor air quality in your Columbus, OH home. Fire & Ice Heating & Air Conditioning features a full line of products to make the air you breathe healthier for you and your loved ones. Call to learn more. Be sure to follow us on Facebook for more great information like this.